There is a whole world of support out there whenever you need it. For medical, health or welfare matters, take a look below for links and phone numbers to the groups and organisations who can offer help and advice.
- 111 – the number to call if you need help with a health issue
- NHS website – stacks of health help, including a health A-Z guide, living well advice and a feature for finding your nearest doctors/dentist/opticians/pharmacy.
- NHS 24 – health information and self-care advice for people in Scotland
- NHS Direct Wales – health information for people in Wales
- Health and Social Care in Northern Ireland
- youthhealthtalk – real people talking about their emotional experience with illness
- Terrence Higgins Trust 0808 802 1221 – get help, support and advice on dealing with AIDS and HIV
- Sexual Health – NHS advice about sex/relationships/contraception
- Family Planning Association – help and advice on sexual health education
- National Sexual Health Helpline – 0300 123 7123, Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm
- Brook – Brook – sexual health and wellbeing for under 25s. Find advice, information or your nearest sexual health service
- SH:24 – online webchat, sexual health advice, information and support.
- The Samaritans – 116 123 (UK + ROI) – provides confidential non-judgmental support, 24 hours a day for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which could lead to suicide. Also a text service – 07725909090 and email: email@example.com – replies within 24 hours.
- Nightline – Student-run helpline open throughout the night, providing confidential, non-judgmental and non-advisory support. Basically like an alternative to The Samaritans, geared towards students. Has branches in most major UK universities. Also has an IM and email service.
- Recover Your Life – self-harm support community.
- B-eat – eating disorder charity with a number of helplines, including one especially for young people who need support with eating disorder related problems
Information & Advice
- Mind – 0300 123 3393 – information about mental illness
- Papyrus – 0800 068 4141, help and support surrounding suicide
- Depression Alliance – general information and support on depression. Here you can share your story of mental illness, or read about others.
- National Eating Disorders – useful information pages on eating disorders.
- OCD UK – OCD info and support.
- Rethink – helping people recover from mental illness.
- SANE – mental health information and support via SANEline and SANEmail
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Mental Health Foundation
- Recover your life – this site offers support and advice for self-harmers. It also offers support for eating disorders and other mental health issues. As well as the main site with information about self-harm, there is also a forum and you can make your own online journal. The distractions forum has plenty of games to get you through those hard times.
- National Self-Harm Network – this site also offers support and advice for self-harmers and their families. As well as providing information there is also a forum.
- Victim Support – for those who have suffered abuse or rape, this site can provide support.
- Talk To Frank – a place to ask about drugs
- Victim Support – a national charity dedicated to helping victims of crime. You can call their national supportline on 08081 689 111 for a confidential conversation, or to get information about your local Victim Support service who will be able to assign you a volunteer to meet with you and talk further, if you’d like.
- Rape Crisis – website has details of local rape crisis organisations